See the Japanese version of this page

Study at Kobe City University of Foreign Studies

Exchange Students/Study-Abroad Students

Study Japanese language intensively for one or two semesters in Japanese Language Education Programs.

For more detailed information, please see Japanese Language Education Programs.

Undergraduate Students

KCUFS has a special selection process for applicants who are over 18 years old and have foreign citizenship.

For more detailed information, please see a special selection process (外国人留学生特別選抜).


Master's Program

In the Master's Program, students will conduct their research in the fields of English Studies, Russian Studies, Chinese Studies, Spanish Studies, International Relations, and Japanese and Asian Languages and Cultures. Master's Program usually last for two academic years and students can choose the Theses Course or the Research Projects Course.

Learn more about Master's Program

Doctoral Program

The Doctoral Program provides students with a choice of three courses: the Linguistics Course, the Cultural Studies Course and the Social Studies Course.

Learn more about Doctoral Program

Research Students

Research for one year with a tutor based on their own research interests.

Learn more about Research Students


  • For those outside of Japan

Japanese Government (Monbukagakusho) Scholarship

For the further information, please contact the Japanese Embassy in your country.

  • For KCUFS students

There are some scholarships you can apply after you enter KCUFS

Please see Ryugakusei no Ukeire (留学生の受け入れ).

Housing Information

*JLP students housing offer can be found on the link below:

Japanese Language Program

Hyogo International House

In the Hyogo International House, international stundets and Japanese students studying in different universities live together. There are some events and activities for the Hyogo International House residents.

Address: 1-2-8 Wakihamacho, Chuo-ku, Kobe-shi, Hyogo 651-0072 (About 1 hour by train and walk from KCUFS)


The International Office can introduce students to real state agencies in the local area.

Study Abroad Guide

There are some portal sites for studying in Japan.

Kobe City University of Foreign Studies. All Rights Reserved.
9-1, Gakuenhigashi-machi, Nishi-ku, Kobe, JAPAN 651-2187 Phone: +81-78-794-8171 / Facsimile: +81-78-794-8160
Email: international-office(at) *Please replace (at) with @.